Gifts of publicly traded stocks, bonds, or mutual fund shares can yield a wealth of potential benefits for you and MSK.
With this type of gift you can:
- Eliminate capital gains taxes on the securities you donate—if you've held them for more than one year.
- Qualify for an income tax charitable deduction based on the current fair market value of the securities on the date of the gift, depending on your tax situation.
- Provide valuable support to MSK's patient care, research, and educational programs.
- Enjoy membership and special benefits as part of the Cullum Society.
Options to Consider
Appreciated securities are among the most versatile and economical assets to donate.
- Life Income Gift. Use appreciated securities to fund a charitable trust or gift annuity, which can provide you, your spouse, or other beneficiaries annual income for life.
- Stock vs. Cash Gifts. The chart below shows how the giving method of your donation can affect your potential benefits and gift amount. (The example assumes you are in a 32 percent federal income tax bracket.)
- The income tax deduction for appreciated securities you've held for more than one year is limited to 30 percent of your adjusted gross income in the year you make the gift, but your excess deduction is deductible for up to five additional years.
- Your securities will be valued on the date they become MSK's property. The value of your gift is the average of the high and low selling prices on the date they are credited to MSK's account.
- Request transfer instructions on gifts of stocks, bonds, or mutual funds, or additional information from our Planned Giving staff. Call us at 800-688-1827 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Seek the counsel of your financial or legal advisor.
Please use our legal name, address, and federal tax ID if incorporating MSK into your plans:
Legal Name: Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
Address: 1275 York Avenue, New York, NY 10065
Federal Tax ID Number: 13-1924236